Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's Time!

Now the Lincoln is 18 months the semi-serious training begins. He has been on the potty randomly in the past 2 months, but now he will have a potty time everyday. When Libby was 18 months I put her in underwear for 1/2 of a day. She wasn't ready, which made a lot of work for me. But when she turned 2 she was more frequent with the potty but I had to wait until Lincoln was born to go full force. She was fully trained 3 weeks after he was born at 2 yrs. 3 months, which I was happy with. I am aiming high, hoping to have Lincoln trained by 2, but he sees Libby on the potty all the time and wants to do everything she does, so we'll see.
For now, he'll just sit on the potty point at all the characters on the seat and wipe his bum.
I never used a little potty, because some research shows that kids don't like the transition from the little potty to the big potty...and, I didn't want to clean poop and pee out of a little dish, I would just rather flush.
Second, I never used pull-ups during the day. When we went full force after Lincoln was born, it was straight into underwear...why...because for 2 years you've told them to pee and poop in the diaper...then you switch to a "pull-up" fancy name for diaper and tell them they are no longer allowed to pee & poop in what feels to them like a diaper. That's what made sense and worked for me and she was fully trained in 4 days with barely any accidents.
Also you make it fun by going to the store to buy big girl/boy underwear which inspires them to use the potty...I think it helped.


2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Good luck with the training Marni! Hope Lincoln does as well as Libby did :) Keep us all posted!

Anonymous said...

I bet it will be more like 2.5....Boys are a bit different then girls....my 2 cents :O)